Creating an Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine at Every Age
Although creams and serums do help to diminish wrinkles and signs of aging, a truly great anti-aging routine starts with healthy habits. Incorporating these habits into your daily routine will not only improve your skin, but will help you feel happier and healthier! Follow these dermatologist-approved recommendations for a healthy glow:
- Protect yourself From the Sun: Wear sunscreen every day, all year round. Sun protection is the foundation of every anti-aging skin care routine. UVB rays cause sunburns and uneven pigmentation, UVA and infrared radiation penetrate more deeply into the skin to damage existing collagen and reduce collagen production, resulting in wrinkles and sagging skin. To protect yourself from photoaging, apply sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher with broad-spectrum UVA, UVB and infrared protection. We recommend seeking shade and covering up in style with wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses. We recommend sunscreens containing the active ingredients zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, such as Silverberg Ultramatte BB Cream SPF 55, EltaMD sunscreens, Alastin HydraTint Pro Mineral SPF 36 or SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair.
- Eat Healthy Food: Think of your diet as your internal skincare regimen. Research suggests that a diet high in refined sugars, processed carbohydrates and unhealthy fats promotes skin aging. Eating a diet filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats and nuts help promote healthy, beautiful skin and overall good health.
- Drink More Water: Staying hydrated is extremely important to your skin’s health. If your body is not adequately hydrated, the skin cells will not function properly and the skin will become dry, tight and flaky. Dry skin is less resilient and is more prone to wrinkling. Consuming at least 8 glasses a day will hydrate and detoxify the body. Remember to consume more water if spending time outdoors or exercising. For additional skin hydration, apply a product containing hyaluronic acid prior to your SPF. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that holds 1,000 times its weight in water and helps keep the skin hydrated. Try SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator or Silverberg Advanced Hyaluronic Acid Serum.
- Get Enough Sleep: Sleep gives your body time to refresh and renew itself. Poor sleep can lead to increased stress hormones in the body, which leads to inflammation. Increased inflammation can also lead to the breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid, the molecules that give the skin its glow and bounce. It’s called beauty rest for a reason!
- Quit Smoking: Tobacco smoke contains toxins that lead to “Smoker’s Face.” Signs of Smoker’s Face include dull and dry complexion, loss of skin’s firmness, premature lines and wrinkles, and leathery skin. It’s time to quit smoking for good!
- Moisturize Every Day: Our skin becomes drier as we age, which make fine lines and wrinkles more apparent. Restoring moisture to the skin will help to give a more youthful appearance. Our favorite moisturizers are SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream, SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer, and Silverberg Ultra Lite Moist Dew Cream.